Thanks for finding out more about me. I have tried to capture, below, an easy to read summary of me and my work:
- I have worked in a professional helping role for 35 years, practicing for 31 years as a social worker and 29 years as a therapist. I began my working life by training as a Samaritans volunteer when I was 18.
- I am a Professor in Counselling Professions and Mental Health, a BACP Senior Accredited Counsellor/Psychotherapist (Snr. MBACP) as well as a Fellow of BACP (FBACP) and Senior Fellow of the AdvanceHE (SFAHE).
- I originally trained as a social worker before then training in counselling and psychotherapy; I continue to be a Registered Social Worker with Social Work England (SW119325).
- As a social worker I worked in child protection, with children and families, with vulnerable adults and in statutory adult mental health settings in crisis work.
- As a therapist I have worked in statutory mental health settings as well as in higher education. I have supervised social workers and therapists for many years across a full range of practice settings.
- I have researched therapy with suicidal clients and people who self-injure and self-harm for over 25 years and have written extensively about this, including four authored texts and two co-edited texts four authored texts and two co-edited texts (with a Second Edition of my Introduction text, now published), in addition numerous academic and practitioner articles
- I was a Governor at a large secondary school for approximately 10 years and was Chair of the Welfare and Safeguarding Committee and the safeguarding Link Governor, as well as Link Governor for the English Department.
- I was, until recently, Director, Colleges and Universities of the Charlie Waller Trust (CWT). I am a Charlie Waller Trust Board Advisor for Colleges and Universities.
- I am on the Expert Advisory Panel for CALM.
- As a Professor at the University of Chester, I teach on the DProf (professional doctorate) in Counselling and Psychotherapy / Psychological Trauma and supervise on the PhD programme.
- Over the years I have delivered highly-regarded workshops to many thousands of therapists, psychologists, mental health workers and teachers and have a national and international reputation for delivering engaging, inclusive, insightful and humorous training workshops.
- I offer consultative support and engagement for individuals and organisations, delivered coaching-informed interventions for goal setting and planning.
- I have completed a specific training for working online as a therapist.
- I am an Affiliate member of the European Mentoring and Coaching Council (UK). I am currently undertaking training in working towards qualification/accreditation of the European Mentoring and Coaching Council (Global).
As a member of BACP I work to the Ethical Framework for the Counselling Professions and the Ethical Guidelines for Researching Counselling and Psychotherapy.
Professor Andrew Reeves
PhD | MSc | MA | DipCouns | CQSW | ProfDipSw | PGCert Supervision | FBACP | SFHEA
Professor in Counselling Professions and Mental Health | BACP Senior Accredited Counsellor/Psychotherapist | Registered Social Worker | Fellow, BACP | Senior Fellow, AdvanceHE (Higher Education Academy)